Citation Maker Instructions
1. Click on the resource you want to cite from the yellow Source Type box. If a template does not appear, you might need to allow pop-ups from your browser.
2. Complete the template form with information from your source. Only fill in the boxes that apply with information that is available to you.
3. When you are done filling out the form, click “Create Citation Below.” Your citations will appear below the template in the dotted box.
4. Continue this process for each of your sources. You may enter multiple citations without losing the previous ones.
5. When you have entered all of your citations, sort them into the required alphabetical order by clicking on “Sort All.” If a citation begins with quotation marks, manually move that citation from the beginning of the list to its proper alphabetical spot.
6. After sorting, click “Copy All.” Then copy and paste the citations into a word processing document that you print or save.
7. Once you paste your list into your own document, correct these things as necessary:
- Double space the list, both between citations and within them.
- When a citation has more than one line, use a hanging indent. To do this, indent the second line and every line thereafter, to the right five spaces.
- Alphabetize the entire list by the first word of each citation. This may be the author’s last name or the first word in a title.
- Capitalize titles as follows:
- MLA -- Capitalize the first word and all words in the title with the exception of the, at, to, in, a, etc.
- APA -- Capitalize the first word, the first word after a colon or dash, and proper nouns.